Monkey World assists governments around the world to stop the smuggling of primates from the wild.

At the Centre refugees of this illegal trade as well as those that have suffered abuse or neglect are rehabilitated into natural living groups.

Rescue & Rehabilitation
Monkey World | Ape Rescue Centre

You can now follow us on our
official page on

For more information

You can now follow us on our
official page on

For more information

Spring 2004

Britain's Legal Pet Trade Strikes Again

Most people know Monkey World for our international work rescuing and rehabilitating primates, however year after year we are called upon to rescue any number of marmosets, squirrel monkeys, and capuchin monkeys that are LEGALLY sold as pets in Britain.

Most people who purchase these sad primates do so unknowingly and do not realise that these social primates need to live with others of their own kind, they have special nutritional needs, they need indoor and outdoor areas, and that capuchins, for example, can live up to 40 years. The problem is so large in Britain that since the beginning of 2004 we have received requests to rescue more than 25 marmosets, 5 capuchins, 2 saki monkeys, and 1 squirrel monkey. Monkey World rescues all that we can but we cannot keep up with this overwhelming British problem.

At the beginning of January, we were approached by a family who had kept a single male capuchin monkey at their home for the past 35 years. His name is Pepe and he was purchased from a London pet shop in 1968. At the time the family was not planning on getting a monkey but when they saw the terrible condition of a tiny baby monkey in the shop they were so distressed they purchased Pepe for £30. They were told by the shop that the monkey would live for 10 years but as the years passed by their children grew up and moved away and the parents found themselves with deteriorating health and difficulties in caring for Pepe who was now at least 36 years old. Monkey World agreed to re-home the geriatric monkey assuming he did well meeting the others at the park.

A date was set to collect Pepe from his West Sussex home in March but before that day arrived, Monkey World received an emergency call from a council officer in Ipswich who had been asked to inspect a premises in order to renew a licence to keep a capuchin monkey in a back garden. The monkey had been kept in a garden shed legally for a number of years but when the officer visited she was not happy with the housing conditions or with the health of the monkey. Gismo, the capuchin monkey, had picked and chewed at the end of his tail so much that he had removed three inches of his own tail and the stump was infected and angry. As is turned out Gismo used to be nice but over the years he became aggressive, so aggressive that his owners had difficulty getting inside of the cage to clean it out. As a result the cage was filthy and it was probably the filth that irritated his skin and caused him to start chewing at his tail.

We were shocked by Gismo's story and agreed to rescue him immediately. On March 12th Jim and Alison Cronin went to Ipswich to collect Gismo who we estimate was 15 years old. They were shocked to find that for years Gismo had been kept in a garden shed with little if any heat. Inside of the shed was a tiny two bar heater but it was covered in spider webs and clearly was never turned on. His owners had put a duvet inside of the shed but it was wet and filthy. Gismo was very unhappy, his tail was in a terrible state, and he was approximately 1/3 underweight. The Cronin's caught the monkey in a travelling box and he was on his way to meet Monkey World's local veterinarian, Mike Nathan.

Once at the park, Gismo was prepared for an immediate operation to remove the infected tissue at the stump of his tail. The operation took a couple of hours as the tail was so infected that several more vertibrae and the surrounding tissue had to be removed. It was a delicate operation as allowances had to be made for swelling and we had to ensure that Gismo would leave the clean stump alone. All went well and over the following days he was monitored closely.

Pepe was collected on March 18th. While his previous owners were upset by his leaving, they knew that it was for the best and that Pepe would have companionship of his own kind. His transport to the park was easy and within a couple of hours he was settled into his new house along side of Jerry and Terri, two of our older and calmer capuchin monkeys. The following day the door was opened between the three monkeys and Pepe and Jerry hit it off immediately. While the two old boys enjoyed an intense grooming session, Terri was happy to ignore them both. Since then Pepe has also met young TJ and the four of them are living together quite happily.

In the second capuchin house, Gismo and Tom are slowly being introduced together. As healthy adult males neither wants to be dominated by the other but they spend up to a couple of hours together every day and it has been going well. In the end we are hopeful that all six capuchins will live together but in any event Monkey World will continue to rescue as many refugees of the British pet trade as possible.

Phenom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre, Cambodia

Many of you may be aware that over the past few years Monkey World and the Pingtung Rescue Centre in Taiwan have been working together to track the smuggling of endangered primates through SE Asia. Most of our work has been in Vietnam but as more and more tourists travel in SE Asia it was only a matter of time before we started receiving reports about primates that need our help in Cambodia. Last summer we received such letters documenting what sounded like appalling conditions of some gibbons and other animals that were kept at a “floating zoo” on the Ton Le Sap River. Jim and Alison wanted to investigate the floating zoos and also visit a friend of Jim's that he had known while working at Howletts Zoo in Kent. Nick Marx was working at Phenom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre (PTWRC) outside of Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh. The centre was established in 1995 and was set up to provide a home for wild animals confiscated by the Department of Forestry and Wildlife and those that were kept as pets but were no longer wanted. Today there are more than 500 animals of 70 different species at the centre.

Nick Marx, an animal husbandry specialist, along with Matt Hunt now run the centre and are doing an amazing job setting a high standard of care and welfare for the animals that arrive at the centre. It is not an easy job as the centre does not have much financial support and there are new arrivals all the time. Many of animals that are brought to the centre, such as sun bears and civits, have horrific injuries from snares that have left them as amputees. Then there are the birds, hoof stock, elephants, tigers, small wild cats, and primates that all require specialised care. Of course Jim and Alison's main interest was the primates and in particular the piliated and golden-cheeked gibbons.

The reports that Monkey World had received documented what sounded like baby piliated gibbons that had been stolen from the wild for tourist exhibition at a floating zoo. While at Phenom Tamao Alison asked about the floating zoos and was happy to hear from Nick and Matt that only a couple of weeks earlier they had gone with government officials and raided these illegal "zoos". All the wild animals were confiscated and taken to their sanctuary and the baby gibbons were well and being rehabilitated with others of their own kind. Nick and Matt are also hoping to some day to release some of the gibbons back to the wild. Of course this is a long-term project and one that will only be pursued if certain individuals are physically and mentally ready for release. The plan is to build intermediate acclimatisation enclosures in the forest and see how the gibbons adapt. It is likely that some will adapt while others will need to remain in the secure enclosures at the centre. All the staff at Phenom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre should be proud to be part of an organisation that is helping to save some of the world's most endangered wild animals.

Naree Update

It has been months since Monkey World and Pingtung Rescue Centre highlighted the illegal trade in primates and other wild animals in Thailand. At one of the zoos that the team investigated 116 illegal orangutans were found when Thai officials raided the zoo. At another park the team documented, government raids discovered 100 illegal tigers, two illegal orangutans, and two illegal chimpanzees. As a member of CITES (the Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species) Thailand is now obligated to do one of two things with the illegal animals: they can return them to their country of origin or send them to a recognised rescue centre. While the Thai government has had representatives from Indonesia over to consider the future repatriation of the illegal orangutans, nothing has been done for the chimpanzees. In particular we are concerned about on of them named Naree.

You may remember that at Sriracha Tiger Zoo there was a female chimp that was forced to work in the "circus show" performing silly tricks. Her teeth had been knocked out, the gums had healed over the roots, and infection was now spreading up into her face and skull leaving her very deformed. Without specialist treatment it is likely that Naree will die a slow and horrible death. Monkey World has asked the Thai authorities to release Naree into our care, especially as she is already documented as illegal, but they will not. We have received a great deal of support from many people and adoptive parents who have written letters to the Thai Embassy in London and we have also had campaigns to save Naree launched at 2CR radio and the Daily Echo.

We are still actively campaigning to rescue Naree and have several plans underway. PLEASE HELP by writing at least one letter, if not a couple! In order of priority write to:

  1. John Sellar, Senior Enforcement Officer, CITES, International Environment House, Chemin des AnÈmones, CH-1219 Ch‚telaine, Geneva, Switzerland, email:
  2. Elliott Morley, Minister for Environment, DEFRA, Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London, SW1A 3JP. Email:

Please tell them that:

You are aware that many illegal animals were documented on a government raid of Sriracha Tiger Zoo, outside of Bangkok, Thailand

  • As members of CITES, Thai authorities should be either repatriating the animals to their country of origin or they should send them to a recognised rescue centre such as Monkey World in Britain.
  • This is not being done and that since the raid, the illegal primates at Sriracha (two orangutans and two chimpanzees) have been working three circus shows every day at the zoo.
  • You know that there is going to be an international CITES conference in Bangkok in October and that Elliott Morley will be attending. You may want to ask how such a conference can go ahead when illegal apes such as Naree are performing, suffering, and dying within one hour of the conference centre.

Thank you for your help and please send us copies of your letters.

And A-Mei Makes Nine by Jeremy Keeling

On February the 26th Dr John Lewis and I traveled from London to Ping-Tung rescue centre in southern Taiwan. Our job was a quick one, to work with the veterinarians and keepers at the centre to prepare an adult female orangutan named A-Mei for transportation to Monkey World. A-Mea would be the 7th orangutan that Monkey World has rehomed from the Ping-Tung rescue centre and as always I was very happy to return to the centre and see everyone there.

The first couple of days at the Ping-Tung rescue centre John helped with a wide variety of species that included an eagle that had been brought to the centre with a broken wing. The wing was so badly damaged that there was nothing to be done but amputate the damaged limb. This was clearly a major operation but luckily for the eagle, he can now have a good life, in a large aviary, living with 2 others of his own kind. We also assisted with a tiger that had sore feet and helped review the health check protocols for primates and other wild animals that arrive at the centre.

Preparations for A-Mei's transportation included a couple of jobs. First we wanted to modify the box she would travel in to include a viewing window so even when the box was fully closed she could see out. Orangutans are very sensitive and delicate animals they can get very upset while being moved from one place to another. We wanted to ensure that A-Mei's journey went as smoothly as possible. However, I was not too concerned as she was a calm adult orangutan, approximately 10 years old, that was used to living in a small cage before she came to the rescue centre. A-Mei had been smuggled into Taiwan illegally for the pet trade and was confiscated by Taiwanese officials from a private home. The second job was to marry the transport box up to her cage so that we could try to encourage her to go in the box with out having to give her a general anaesthetic. This went incredibly well and as soon as the box was attached to the side of her cage and the door was open she was in. Indeed A-Mei liked the box so much it was not easy to get her out!

Our flight to London left on the 2nd of March and a big thank you needs to go out to China Airlines who did a wonderful job insuring that A-Mei's journey was a calm one. They flew John, A-mei and myself on a cargo flight from Taipei to Manchester airport. On the British end Defra very kindly allowed special permission for A-Mei to land in Manchester rather than London. This was great as it meant John and I could sit with A-Mei throughout the 13 hour flight. She too was happy with the constant attention and enjoyed several of the China Airlines blankets as well as regular snacks and drinks.

The day after A-Mei arrived at Monkey World we began her introductions to Gordon, Amy and Lucky. We started with Gordon and while A-Mei was a bit unsure of his boisterous behaviour she quickly realised that he was no threat and simply wanted to have fun. A-Mei seemed a bit amused by the new man in her life and slowly but surely joined in with his wrestling games. All went well meeting Amy and Lucky and A-Mei is now happily settled in her new life at Monkey World.

SE Asia to France to Monkey World by Wendy Durham

On March 30th 2004 Cathy Gestin, another Monkey World keeper and I set off in the Monkey World quarantine van to the south of France to pick up a gibbon being transferred to us.Tito a 7 year old male Golden-Cheeked Gibbon was being housed at a small zoo in Bezier and was coming to Monkey World to be paired with one of our females as part of the EEP, European Endangered Species Breeding Programme.

To our surprise half way through our journey we were re-directed to a state run zoo in Montpellier. While on our journey the French customs officers confiscated Tito from his owner, no one quite knew why but we were assured that all was well with Tito.We arrived in Montpellier at La Parc du Lunaret the following day only to be told that we could not take Tito as he had no paperwork and was under customs jurisdiction. After several hours of phone calls, checking and re-checking our documents, more phone calls and a lot of translating the zoo's director relaxed and told us the whole story. It was not only Tito who had arrived from Bezier, but 5 van loads of animals including macaques, lemurs and many birds which had been kept illegally! They were naturally worried about the legality of letting us take him. With the confusion cleared up it was agreed that the gibbon could be released and would travel with us to England the following day.

Tito was a wild caught gibbon that had been smuggled into France illegally. Since he had been reared by people he was quite friendly and was easily encouraged into his traveling box. He was however a little nervous for the first couple of hours of our drive but soon settled down with the help of a bag of grapes and a plentiful supply of bananas. He did have one trick up his sleeve however, at every roundabout and petrol stop he decided to confuse everyone within ear shot by singing his loud but beautiful song. Thankfully the novelty wore off after a while and our journey continued peacefully and quietly. We finally arrived at Monkey World at 2am and after making sure Tito was settled in to his new house we left him to rest. The next couple of weeks were going to be pretty busy for him.

We had no medical records or history for Tito so our first task was to give him a full medical check and run a series of blood tests. John Lewis came down to the park to examine Tito and soon reported back that apart from being very thin he had a clean bill of health. This meant we could move ahead with his introductions to Zoe one of our beautiful females from Taiwan. First the two were allowed to spend a couple of days looking at each other through a mesh panel before the door was opened between them. So fat all is going well and Zoey and Tito are making their first tentative steps towards getting to know each other. For Zoey who has lived with gibbons before this was all very easy and she was trying to show Tito just how attractive and playful she could be. Tito was naturally a little wary but has decided that gibbons are fun to be around and is plucking up the courage to get closer to her every day. For now a touch on the foot followed by a game is the order of the day. Tito has a long road ahead of him as he has a lot of weight to gain, muscle tone to build up and he needs to learn the ways of gibbons. But for now he is enjoying having fun with his new mate and life is looking very rosy for our newest arrival at the gibbon house.

Kuki makes it to Monkey World...

In the summer of 1999 Jim Cronin had gone on a fact finding mission to Bo drum, Turkey following several reports of a young chimpanzee that had been seen living on a private boat. After days of searching Jim finally found the chimp, and by chance, had an impromptu meeting in a busy shopping district with the chimp and her handler. Jim was able to find out that the chimpanzee's name was Kuki and that she belonged to a wealthy business man her used to take her out on a disco cruise ship to entertain tourists at night. At this point however, nothing could be done for Kuki as evidence had to be collected and documented before Monkey World could approach three Turkish authorities to see if anything could be done about the chip. This would take time, so a heart broken Jim returned to Britain with nothing but photographs and videotape of the chimp he wanted to rescue.

Not long after Jim's return disaster struck Turkey. On August 17th 1999 a massive earthquake hit Turkey killing an estimated 18,000 people. In the face of such devastation and tragedy, there was nothing Monkey World could do about the young chimp they had finally found in Bodrum. Jim and Alison let the matter rest but it was by no means forgotten. Two years passed and finally in the autumn of 2001 the Cronin's had friends check to see if the chimp was still in Bodrum - the news was not good as nobody could find the chimp; Kuki had disappeared. Never being ones to give up Monkey World contacted the late Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan, of the Bellerive Foundation, to see if he could help locate the chimpanzee known as Kuki. Jim and Alison were shocked when 24 hours later they received a call from the Prince's assistant giving them the name and number of a young couple in Istanbul that were Kuki's new owners.

After a couple of phone calls Jim and Alison were invited to Istanbul to meet Kuki and her new owners, Dilnur and Cemil Barlas. The Barlas' were very caring people who loved Kuki but understood she would become uncontrolable and potentially dangerous. For the time being however, they wanted to keep her so Kuki would have to wait for a family of her own and Jim would have to be patient. Over the next two years Monkey World kept in close contact with the Barlas family checking in regularly to see if they were still happy with a growing chimp living in their house. Not surprisingly things were getting out of hand as Kuki was kept on the end of a leash and at 4-5 years old she refused to wear clothes anymore. In December 2003 the phone call that Jim had been waiting for so many years finally came. It was Dilnur saying that it was time to make arrangements for Kuki to move to Monkey World!

Finally after three years of tracking a chimp and negotiating her relocation, patience paid off and Kuki was to have a new family of her own kind at Monkey World. Jim Cronin and Dr John Lewis, Monkey World's veterinarian, flew to Istanbul along with a large transport box for the chimpanzee. As Kuki was now 6-7 years old and weighed more than 30 kg, she would need to have an anaesthetic in order to get her inside of her traveling box. All went well with her sedation and by 5.00pm on January 18th Jim, John, Kuki and the Balas' were all at Attataurk airport waiting for the boarding of the Russian cargo plane. Special arrangements had to be made, and approved by the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), for Kuki's transport as the only flight that we could get her and the special traveling box onto was a cargo flight from Istanbul to Luton. Usually exotic animals arrive at Heathrow as they have approved quarantine facilities but in this instance Defra made special arrangements for this very special VIP!

Upon arrival at Monkey World, Kuki was settled into some bedrooms in Rodney's house. Rodney's group of 17 knew that something or someone had arrived in their house and they all called and displayed with excitement. Most of them would have to wait however, as Kuki had never been with other chimps since the fateful day that she was stolen from her mother in Africa seven years ago. Kuki was clearly very nervous and the introductions would have to go very slowly. After settling in for a day or so we decided that she should meet the first of her new family and we picked Valerie as she is a female that is a similar size and age to Kuki. Everyone was surprised to see Kuki let out a loud bark and a dominant display when Valerie entered an adjoining room. Valerie was shocked and terrified by this aggressive newcomer and whimpered to Jeremy clearly indicating she wanted OUT. There was no point in upsetting Valerie so she was let out and a much larger, more impressive chimp was let in, Hananya. This time things were different. Hananya came storming in, hair on end, looking very big and impressive. So what does a smart girl do with such a confrontation? Sit down and keep quiet, and that is exactly what Kuki did! She and Hananya ended up enjoying each other's company and this was the beginning of a new life for Kuki. Over the next few weeks she met everyone in the group of 17 and has developed some close friends, including Valerie who is now her best friend. But just as things were settling down in Rodney's group Alison was on the phone to Turkey in the office...

...and Her Sister Zeynep

Five years ago when Monkey World was receiving reports about Kuki from tourists who saw her on a boat, there were also many sightings of a chimp in various restaurants and bars around the town of Bodrum. Of course we assumed that all the reports were about Kuki. Then in July 2003 Alison was shocked when she opened a letter to find a photo of a chimp chained to a boat on the front page of a Turkish newspaper. The chimp had been abandoned on the boat in the middle of Bodrum harbour and it looked just like Kuki!

At the time this happened Jim and Alison had already met the family that owned Kuki so with little else to go on Alison asked the Barlas' if they knew anything or could find anything on this mysterious second chimp. As it turned out, Kuki and another tiny infant were first being offered for sale in Bodrum many years ago by two Nigerian men. It is likely that the two orphans were taken at the same time from the same group in the wild when their mothers were shot and killed. The babies would have been smuggled out of Africa together and into Bodrum where they were offered for sale. One night in a bar the Nigerians got lucky when a local man decided he would buy one of the baby chimps, but he hadn't realised what he had got himself into until the needy infant was delivered to his house. Compounding his mistake, he thought the baby chimp might do better if it had company so he purchased the second baby, who we now know to be Kuki. The two babies became so boisterous that they were difficult to deal with so a final descion was made to sell Kuki on to a friend who lived on a boat. This was the last time that the two infants were to see each other for many years. Through Kuki's previous owners Jim and Alison were able to find out that the chimp's name was Zeynep and that she was owned by a wealthy young man that enjoyed the clubbing and boating scene of Bodrum. The question was what was Zeynep doing left on the boat and would he want to give her up?

Alison first contacted Zeynep's owner with the assistance of a Dutch supporter who was the one that first sent her the newspaper article. She spoke Turkish and was able to find out that Zeynep had first been put on the boat as she was getting too big to control and was becoming dangerous. She had now been removed from the boat and was being kept in a cage at his house. At this time Zeynep's owner was not very open minded about giving her up as he thought that she might eventually calm down – but this was not going to happen. Finally after several weeks had passed a British girl who was the ex-girlfriend of Zeynep's owner contacted Alison. She had received a text message about Zeynep and was asked if she would get in touch with Monkey World to see what we thought about his chimp. Monkey World made it clear that we would be happy to re-home his chimp as long as he would never purchase another primate again. With everything agreed the paperwork process began.

On April the 16th Jim, Alison Jeremy and John Lewis all flew to Bodrum I order to organize moving Zeynep. Her journey was not going to be as straight forward as Kuki's as she had a long journey by car from Bodrum to Istanbul before her box could be loaded onto the cargo flight to Luton. Once again DEFRA was great in granting special permission to land the chimpanzee at Luton airport. When the team arrived at the house, they were stunned to see Zeynep out of her cage, on the end of a dog leash, and pulling her owner around in order to grab at or bite anything that came into range! Her owner had decided to have a party before she left and had been feeding her cake all afternoon. Zeynep was finally convinced to go back in her cage where John could safely deliver the anaesthetic dart she required in order to get her inside of the box. The whole process went very well and within an hour Zeynep was loaded inside of the box, had woken up, and was ready for her journey to Monkey World. Jeremy traveled with Zeynep and Summerman International, the Turkish cargo agents, from Bodrum to Istanbul in order to make sure everything was OK for the chimp but it also gave him the time to get to know her. The entire journey went smoothly and a happy but tired Jeremy arrived at the park at 3.00am April 19th.

Zeynep was settled in Rodney's house just like Kuki but appeared alert, happy and ready to go so we took her lead and began the introductions straight away. First in was Kuki and everyone was interested to see if the two chimps would recognize each other. When the door was opened the two chimps happily went into the same room together and then Zeynep started following Kuki around. While Kuki just wanted to sit and groom, Zeynep wanted to make up for lost playtime. She kept teasing and poking Kuki trying to get a response but to no avail. The two settled down and spent the day together before we moved ahead with the other introductions. The next morning we began with Hanna and as he came through the door of an adjoining bedroom Zeynep barked a threat and appeared very nervous. This was a totally different reaction than Kuki got - it would seem that Zeynep did remember Kuki after all those years! Hananya was let in with the two ladies but Zeynep was not happy with him and kept running away anytime he came near. So the next day we decided to try someone a bit smaller and less intimidating, Gypsey. This adolescent male is a good choice as he is very playful and friendly and usually does not intimidate anyone. Gypsey was let in with the Turkish ladies and while Zeynep did not want him to touch her at first, she was more relaxed with him. After a couple of hours Zeynep seemed enough at ease that we let the three chimps into one of the large playrooms. This gave the newcomer enough room that she could run, jump and swing to get close to another chimp or to run away. Once the choice was hers, Zeynep decided that if Kuki was not going to play, she would start teasing and playing with Gypsy.

Over the following says Semach, Valerie, Eveline, Arfur, Jess, and even the boss Rodney were all let in to meet the Turkish sisters and so far there have not been any problems. On May 7th Kuki, Zeynep and a small group of those they know, were all let outside for the first time. It was a beautiful sunny day and it was great to see them roaming the enclosure and climbing 15 meters high in their new natural home. The introductions to the group have been going amazingly well. Even though Kuki and Zeynep have been on their own for so many years they are still young enough to have fun and make new friends. And as far as Rodney's group is concerned they seem more than happy to welcome two young ladies to join their family.

Letter From The Editor

Sorry for the delay in getting this edition of the chronicle out to everyone, but things have been very busy at the park making arrangements for all the new arrivals. In the past few months Monkey World staff have travelled to Vietnam, Taiwan, France, Turkey (two trips), and across Britain securing the future of many different primates. At the park our primate care staff have been working extra hard ensuring all the new arrivals have comfortable, relaxing homes to move into. Then the introductions to their new families began. For some it has been aviary easy transition and for others it is going to take some time to learn more natural behavior and to begin interacting with others of their own kind.

The help and assistance that we receive from many supporters has been wonderful. First we would like to thank all those who have helped rescue some of our new arrivals. Every year we receive hundreds of reports, from around the world, of primates that might need our help.

The chimpanzees Kuki and Zeynep are good examples. We try to help as many as we can and always follow up on all sightings. Others have helped our rescue and rehabilitation work by donating goods such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, bread, baby towels and gift certificates for supermarkets. Everything is used and greatly appreciated by the monkeys and apes. We have received generous donations and some have raised money by organising raffles, cake sales, sponsored swims, school collections, quiz nights, stop smoking sponsors, car boot sales, tea sales, secondhand dress sales and non uniform days. We have also received artwork to sell in our shop, donations instead of Christmas, birthday, wedding or mother's day presents, and left over foreign currency.

Special mention needs to be given to Nadine Smeijers of Ciquita Processed Fruit for donating more than 200 hundred cans of banana puree, Sandra Belchambers of the Cardio thoracic Centre in Liverpool for sending us surplus surgical equipment, Diane Hunter for giving the monkeys and apes a huge 'Winnie the Poo' to raffle, Boot Scooters Dance Club for their fund raising, The Fellowship of Animal Lovers who send in regular donations, Penny Dymond and Robin Jeffry who were both sponsored for the London marathon, Henry Can and Lisa Harding for a sponsored half marathon, Tara and Kyran O'Neill who made a brilliant sponsored word search for their class, Lynn Gallagher, Eleanor Richardson, Victoria O'Brien, who did a sponsored swim Mr Lyon for gifting the prize for a 'nicest neighbour' competition, and the Arnett Family who auctioned their son David's monkey collection on Ebay in his memory. You have all been a great help and it is appreciated.

On a sadder note, many people who regularly visited the park or were adoptive parents have passed away. Our condolences go out to the family and friends of David Arnett, Carol Ann Carter, Mr Wilson, Cesare Innocenzi, Doris Dimmock, Edward Lucas, Mrs E M Tolland, Alan Vansittart, Sylvia Wedge, Georgina Biles, Dan Maybe, Dennis Charles Watkins, Jaqueline Violet Rebbeck, Mrs M G Price, Vera Paice, and Claire Lisa Sinfield . They will all be greatly missed.

As summer approaches, it is great to see the monkeys and apes enjoying their outdoor enclosures more and more. There is lots of sun bathing, insect catching, and grazing on the new plants that are coming up. And of course we have a few new arrivals other than those mentioned in the articles. Lorna and Levar the Woolley monkeys have had a beautiful baby girl named Lena, marmosets Harry and Louise have had a second set of twins, and of course Hsiou-Ning the orangutan is growing bigger and more adventurous everyday. Every year we continue to improve the animal enclosures, but it is also nice to know that Monkey World has been recognised by North Dorset Disability Action Group , for our disabled facilities and provision of mobility scooters as well as being number six on the fifty best spring days out in Britain by the Independent Newspaper . Thanks for your continued support. Alison Cronin.